Chapter 73 - Hunter

"Hera, Queen of Olympus, what was I thinking?" Hunter said, pacing his cabin. Jake was sitting on his bed with his hand over his eyes.

"Okay, so you asked her out on a date without having a place in mind, a mode of transportation, or nice clothes to wear." Jake said with a shrug. "When are you picking her up again?" Hunter checked his watch.

"About one hour."

"Well, you have time to cancel then." Jake said with a nod. Hunter shook his head.

"No, man. She's probably been getting ready for like 3 hours already." He said, still pacing. "I guess, I could--Well, no..."

"Okay, so if I loaned you a shirt, then--"

"Then, I would have a shirt too small and still have no place to go or anyway to get there." Hunter said, rolling his eyes. "Okay. If I...ran home then I could get the car and borrow some clothes or something and then come back and be a minute late or something."

"That's an option, but isn't your house like a 45 minute walk away?"

"Yeah. If I'm lucky. That's why I'm going to run it in twenty." Hunter said with a nod, slipping on his shoes. "Wish me luck. I'll talk to you after the date." He said before taking off out of his cabin. He broke into a full sprint toward Half-Blood Hill. He ran as fast as he could and he immediately regretted sitting around for most of the summer. He got up the hill and then headed straight down the road. He didn't make it in 20 minutes. He made it in thirty minutes and he realized that he left his house key at camp. He stood at the door searching for his key and eventually bashed his head against the door a couple times to knock. Chrissy answered.

"Hunter!" She said, hugging him tightly. He hugged her back, catching his breath. "What are you doing here?" Hunter moved past her heading into his room.

"I uh...I have a date tonight and I need clothes." He said, poking through his closet. "And the car. And a place to go."

"A date?!" She said excitedly. "With who?"

"Arabella." He said under his breath, knowing her opinion of her.

"What?"

"Did I hear Hunter?" Wayne said, poking his head in. "Hey, kiddo! How you doing?"

"He has a date." Chrissy said as Hunter pulled out a nice pair of slacks that he had worn maybe twice. "But he needs a place, clothes, and the jeep."

"With who?" He asked. Hunter cleared his throat and then sighed.

"Arabella." He said, cringing a little bit. Chrissy scoffed and stood up.

"Looks like you're going to need a different car then!" She said, leaving the room. Hunter started to follow her, but Wayne put a hand on his chest. He glanced out the door and then turned to him, handing him a key to the jeep. "The way she drives, having a spare key isn't a bad idea." He said with a smile. "I think Steven has some clothes in his room you could borrow. You're about the same size now."

"Thanks." Hunter said, looking at the key then tossing it on the bed with his wallet and everything else in his pockets. He pulled on the khakis just as Wayne walked back in with some shirts over his shoulder.

"Okay. Now what kind of girl is she? Would she be...white dress shirt and sport coat? Plain white dress shirt? Plaid shirt?" Hunter stared at his options and froze. He had no idea. Or if he did his mind was blanking.

"Well, I don't know, but I'm a plaid shirt kind of guy, so I'll go with that." He said, grabbing the shirt and slipping it on.

"Okay. Well, as far as places go, there's a restaurant that your Aunt and I went to a couple of years ago for our anniversary." He said, pulling out his wallet. "It's called Daniel. I wrote out some directions for you and because I know the prices, here's my credit card. For tonight only, okay?" He said, tilting his head slightly. Hunter held the plastic card like it was made of thin glass and then put it into his wallet. He tucked his shirt in and then put his green converse back on before turning to his uncle.

"How do I look?" He asked, his hands shaking slightly.

"Really, really nervous." He said with a laugh. "It's normal though. Just...be calm. She already agreed to go with you, so the hardest part is done." Hunter nodded and sat on his bed. He closed his eyes and felt himself relax a little. Wayne was right. They got along. There was no reason that a date would go poorly. Hunter took another deep breath. "What time are you picking her up?" Hunter stood up quickly, checking his watch.

"I gotta go! Thank you!" He said, speeding out the door again. Hunter got in his car and backed out, driving a little too quickly for the speed limit, but pulling to the side of the road outside camp with 2 minutes left to spare. He parked and locked the door then sprinted toward his cabin, grabbing his house key and some gum then ran toward Aphrodite cabin. He knocked and then leaned on the doorway catching his breath. He was right on time, but the date was starting now, so what could go wrong?