Chapter 40: Hunter

December 25

"Okay, now ease down on the gas pedal. That's the one on the right." Wayne said from the passenger seat. "Careful. Wait, let this car pass. Now turn the wheel to the left a little and change lanes." Hunter carefully turned and changed lanes on the highway, pressing down on the pedal to accelerate into the fast lane.

"How is someone supposed to do this without feeling like they're going to die?" Hunter said with a nervous laugh.

"This coming from the guy who rides pegasi."

"Well, a flying horse is not the same as two thousand pounds of steel on 80 pounds of rubber."

"Well, don't worry about it. You're doing fine." Hunter kept a tight grip on the wheel and he locked his eyes on the road. It was around 3 in the afternoon. Lunch went  really well. His Aunt Lucy had changed her disposition towards him almost completely. Hunter knew not to push his luck. He realized that having him around was the constant reminder that she had lost her entire family. Her brother. Her sister. Her parents. The entire time-All these years-every time she looked at him, she remembered that she was the only one left. Why did he deserve to survive when the rest of her family didn't? Hunter hoped that the charm bracelet would help remind her of all the good things that her family left with her. The memories that she'd always have.

After they ate lunch, Hunter and Wayne decided to go out driving for a little while before dinner. Hunter could already tell that he didn't like driving, but he wanted to learn. It was probably one of the only normal things in his life that he could actually get.

"We've been driving for an hour and a half. Why don't you get off here and I'll drive us home?" Hunter nodded then carefully switched lanes and exited, parking in a gas station. Hunter got out and started to walk around the car. "So, are you going to tell me about this 'uh...friend' of yours?" He said right before ducking into the car. Hunter cocked his head a little as he buckled his seatbelt in the passenger seat.

"Who?"

"The 'uh...friend' who made you that chain that you gave to Julie." Hunter immediately blushed. The weight of his guilt slammed back down on his shoulders.

"Oh, she's...It's not important."

"Yeah, bull. Spill it, kid." He said with a laugh. "I can tell from the way you're mood changed that you're lying." Hunter sighed a little and then cleared his throat before speaking.

"I...I don't know. Her name is Marina." He said, closing his eyes. Hunter explained how he had gotten to know Marina over the past few months and how his relationship with her had become a more romantic one. Wayne just quietly listened, nodding every once in a while to what Hunter had to say. Hunter went on and described how things had been becoming more tense and he talked about when she finally kissed him in the woods and how he loved the feeling, but at the same time he was just confused. He was worried that he would get attached and she would leave. And he would be heartbroken once again. Like he was with Brooke and like he was with Arabella.

"I didn't know that your summer had been so rough, bud." He said quietly. There was a long pause and Hunter fidgeted with a small tear in his jeans a little, trying to get his mind off of Marina. He really liked her. "So, she basically risks her neck to do you a favor and then she kisses you and you just leave?"

"I completely froze. I mean, I liked it, but I just...I don't know. What if I had messed it up? Or if I did something that ruined the friendship that we had?"

"This is the same kid that we had to ground because he kept climbing to the top of the playground equipment and jumping off." Wayne said with a laugh. "What happened to the kid that always took risks? The kid that when he found out he was a demigod he thought he was a superhero and jumped off of our roof with a towel around his neck like a cape." Hunter laughed a little and rubbed the arm that he had broken with that little incident. "The kid that tackled a monster and choked it to death because it knocked Christina off the slide."

"I can't anymore. It doesn't matter. It's...It's too late. She probably hates me now."

"She's staying at camp?" Hunter nodded a little twisting his hands together. "Great." He said before taking a U-turn. "Well, we're going to find out if she still likes you or not." He said, leaning toward the windshield to make sure he was going the right way.

"We're not--"

"Oh...yes, we are." Wayne said with a smile. "The way I see it, you left a girl alone on Christmas and she's a friend of yours, so why not invite her to dinner. We like to know all of your friends, buddy."

"Uncle Wayne, please, sir. I really just-"

"You, my dear nephew, have no choice. I will fight my way in there if I need to." Hunter sighed in defeat looking disappointed, but in reality he was nervous. He was nervous and excited. Maybe if he were lucky he could salvage at least a friendship out of this. He looked at his arm where he saw a scar near his elbow. He used to take risks. What happened to him? There was no reason he couldn't be that person again. As they got closer and closer to camp, he started to get more nervous. What would he even say? Oh, sorry for abandoning you right before Christmas after we kissed, but I had a lot on my mind, y'know? He rubbed his face a little and closed his eyes, imagining her and all of the moments that he felt happiest with her.

"Do we have to do this?" He asked quietly. The car stopped and Hunter's eyes opened suddenly.

"Well, either you do this now or you owe me for the gas." He said with a smile as he unlocked the car door. "Your choice. Gas is pretty expensive nowadays, but don't let that influence you in any way."  Hunter took a deep breath then narrowed his eyes at his uncle for a moment before slipping out of the car and heading up the hill. Hunter played with the beads on his necklace while he walked, hoping that something might make this easier. No sign came as he made his way to the Hephaestus cabin. The entire camp was practically empty. A few satyrs and nymphs were running around or cuddling. A miscellaneous child or two was walking around the mess hall. He stopped at the door and stared at it for a long moment before opening it. It was completely empty except for the light shining up from the forge. He headed down the stairs and saw Marina pounding away on a sword, her plain white tanktop marked with soot and her hands gripping the hammer tightly.

"Hey." Hunter said quietly once she had stopped hammering. She looked over at him, but her face was plain and sad.

"I thought you weren't going to be back until tomorrow." She said quietly, tossing the red hot blade into a bucket of water before moving to the opposite wall where several items hung.

"My uh...My uncle wanted to invite you to dinner." He said quietly. She paused then looked at with an eyebrow raised. "And I...I wanted to talk to you."

"Go ahead. Talk your heart out." She said, turning back to the weapons on the wall.

"Marina, I...was really really stupid on Saturday. It took a really...really long and emotional Christmas for me to realize that I have been selfish to a lot of people and I hate it. I really do." He paused and studied his feet for a moment then looked up to see Marina focusing on him. "I'd totally understand if you slapped me and told me that you never wanted to see me again. After what I did, it would be deserved, but I'm asking you to refrain from doing that."

"And why should I? What's stopping me from kicking you out of here?"

"Because I only did what I did because I like you, Marina. I really like you and the idea that you might not like me anymore really hurt and it scared me." He quickly ran his hand through his hair. "And I used to be the kind of person who takes risks, but I haven't done that in a long time because I was scared. I really want to change, Marina. I really do mean that. I will never be more sorry for what I did, but let me start making it up to you." She took a dew steps closer and crossed her arms in front of her. "Do you still hate me?" She paused a moment then shook her head.

"Hunter, I....I really liked you. I still do, but you really hurt me. I gave up these nine months that I could be spending at a swanky private school, so that I could hang out and get to know a scrawny little Hermes kid. If doesn't tell you how much I liked you, then I'm not sure how I could get it across to you. It took a lot for me to kiss you and I really liked it, but then you balked and I assumed it was because you didn't like me." She moved a few steps closer and unfolded her arms. "Now, I'm hearing the opposite and it feels like something out of a dream where he comes back to her princess and it's all very colorful and romantic." She smiled and Hunter felt like all of the weight of this bad situation was lifted off his shoulders. Then she slapped him hard across the face. His face turned red hot and he stumbled back a few steps before catching himself against the doorway. "That does not excuse you from walking out on me." She moved close to him and placed a hand on his chest. Hunter rubbed his glowing red cheek lightly before grabbing her hand.

"I really am sorry." He said, looking down at her.

"I know, Hunter." She said with a nod. "But you're here now. And that's all that matters."  They locked eyes for a long moment before Hunter leaned down toward her then pressed his lips to hers. "Merry Christmas." Marina said quietly, pulling on his shirt a little

"Merry Christmas, Marina."