Chapter 15: Hunter

Hunter had weird dreams that night. He couldn't remember all of them, but that's because it was more like a series of pictures. Like snapshots. He didn't recognize what they were or what relevancy they had. There was a wolf and a small pig. Some classic cars. A house that he didn't recognize. A small girl with blonde hair. She reminded Hunter of someone, but he couldn't place it. He saw a bow and arrow being fired. The whole time he felt like he could smell vanilla and the faint scent of roses. the whole series just gave him an overwhelming sense of happiness. He wasn't sure what it was or what it meant, but he really didn't mind it.

However, when he woke up it all went away and the events of the previous night came back. He had a nice time when he wasn't taking care of Brooke and he loved his night until he thought about the look on Arabella's face when she thought that he had taken advantage of Brooke. He didn't do anything, but it hurt a little to see that she would assume that he would do something as despicable as that.

Hunter rolled out of bed and to his feet before stretching a little, trying to wake himself up. He slipped on a pair of shorts and a camp t-shirt then sat down to pull on his shoes when he felt his bed shake and then heard something fall behind him. He looked over his shoulder and saw Jake lying on the ground, wrapped in his sheets. He groaned and then opened his eyes, finally waking up.

"When did we decide I was sleeping on the top bunk?" Jake said, pulling himself to his feet. He clumsily put his sheet back onto his bed then turned to his clothing.

"I don't know, really. I was here first, though, so...deal with it." He said, tying his shoes. "Well, I'm going to breakfast. I need to see if Brooke remembers what happened last night." He said before standing up and heading to the door.

"Wait, hold up. I'll be ready in like 2 seconds." He said, running his hands through his hair and looking through his clothes. Hunter sighed.

"Dude, I'm just going to breakfast. I'll see you-"

"Ready. Let's go." Jake said, appearing next to Hunter. Hunter shook away the slight surprise at how quickly Jake got dressed then headed out the door.

"I'll always wonder how you do that."  Hunter said with a laugh.

"My mom is an improv actress. She's supposed to be good at changing clothes quickly. She showed me tricks." Jake said with a shrug. "Don't be jealous. I'm awesome. No big deal." Hunter rolled his eyes as they finally walked into the dining hall. Hunter scanned the room real quick to see if Brooke was there. He caught a glare from Arabella just as Brooke entered his view.

"Hey, Hunter." She said with a smile, wrapping her arms around his neck. Hunter smiled softly at her. He was worried that she might be mad at him for turning her down the night before. She smiled up at him and kissed him lightly on the lips. After a second her face changed to a more pensive one. "Hunter, I'm really sorry about last night. You didn't have to take care of me like that, but you did and I umm...I really appreciate it." She said with a grin. Hunter leaned down and kissed her lightly on the lips.

"Well, it's not a problem." He said quietly with a smile. He took her hand and got in line with her. "How much exactly do you remember?" He asked a little hesitantly.

"I remember a lot of drinking." She said quietly. "Then I remember dancing and I remember throwing up." She said, sticking her tongue out. She thought for a second and took a deep breath. "Everything else is kind of hazy though. I do remember you taking care of me though." She said, smiling up at him. "And you were smart enough to hang up my dress for me. If I had slept in that dress, I would have been SO mad." She said, grabbing her tray and her cup. She leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. "See you in a while." Hunter nodded and smiled before heading to his table where he took a seat across from Jake.

"Well, she doesn't remember. She says everything is a little hazy except dancing, drinking, and throwing up." Hunter said with a sigh. He had gotten so close to being friends with Arabella which isn't as close as he would really like to be, but now he had lost all of that. Just because of some stupid misunderstanding. He ordered cranberry juice from his cup then took a sip before pushing his food around a little.

"Why is this bothering you so much? I mean, she went from not knowing who you were to being your acquaintance to not liking you. As far as Physics and displacement goes, you really didn't travel all that far." Jake said, patting his arm. "And it's not like this effects me all that much, so don't worry." Hunter turned his head a little.

"Think about this. Arabella thinks that I had sex with Brooke while she was drunk. She tells someone who tells someone else who tells someone else who tells Brooke who doesn't remember what happened last night who then thinks that I had sex with her while she was drunk. Brooke, then, breaks up with me and blacklists the rest of the Hermes cabin especially to Arabella." Hunter explained, leaning forward on the table slightly. "So, yes. It does effect you. Including your very selfish attitude." He said before taking a small bite of his food. Jake put his hands up in surrender.

"Fine, then what are you going to do?" He asked with a shrug. Hunter took a deep breath.

"I don't know what to do. I don't know what I can do." He said with a shrug. "How do you convince someone that you're not lying when she assumes you're lying and you're the only one who knows you're not lying?" He said, running his fingers through his hair. Hunter and Jake finished eating then stood, took care of their trays, and left.

"Hunter, hold on, studly." Hunter turned just as Brooke appeared in front of him. She leaned up on her toes, keeping a hand on his chest, and gave him a kiss on the lips. "Have a good day. I'll miss you." She said with a smile and for a second, Hunter actually believed her. He put a hand on her side lightly then pulled her in for a quick kiss on the lips.

"Find me before lunch, okay?" He said with a smile. She winked at him before finally pulling away from him. Hunter watched her leave and smiled when she looked back at him to see if he was watching her leave.

"Is it just me or is she a complete non-bitch today?" Jake said, appearing next to Hunter.

"It certainly looks that way." Hunter said with a laugh. "I'm definitely not going to look a gift horse in the mouth though. Come on. We have Ancient Greek." Hunter said before noticing a familiar head of blonde hair walk by. "Arabella, wait." He said before catching up to her. He stood in front of her. "Arabella, look. I promise you that I didn't-" She scoffed and shoved past him before he could finish.

"What was that?" Jake said, raising an eyebrow at him.

"I thought I'd give it a shot." He said with a sigh. "I guess, we should go now." He said, heading toward the meadow. After a few short moments of walking, they arrived and sat down, waiting for Chiron to start teaching.

"Why do we actually learn Ancient Greek?" Jake said with a shrug. "We're the only people who speak Ancient Greek nowadays."

"I don't know. Maybe they're worried that we'll travel back in time or something." Hunter said. People around him laughed, but the person right next to Hunter laughed loudest. He looked over and saw Marina smiling at him. "I'm glad somebody liked it." He said with a chuckle, only to be met with another loud laugh from Marina.

"Alright. Today, we'll be doing conversational Greek." Chiron said, putting his hands together a moment. "However, to mix things up, turn to your usual partner then turn the other way and partner with them." Hunter's eyes widened a little when he realized that meant he was partnering with Marina. Hunter gave a small nervous smile to Marina who grinned back at him. "Let's begin. Now start with introductions, even if you already know the other person." Hunter laughed a little nervously.

"Uh...Hi. I'm Hunter, the son of Hermes." Hunter stammered out, his language a bit clumsy.

"I know." She said with a smile. "Umm...I mean...I'm Marina, daughter of Hephaestus."

"Great. Nice to meet you."